Skip to main content

Broken Gadgets and Me

Have you ever had a connection with something that seemed like it was given to you by default? It is like a birthright where you were born with a particular gift or purpose that is handed to you right from birth. There are those who were born with a vocal cord of a flute who practically sang instead of cry at the first sight of the delivery room. There are those who were born with missing joints who seem to have danced their way out of their mothers’ wombs. And then there was me… and broken gadgets.



Now before your imagination wanders off to Alice’s wonderland, where everything is possible, I can assure you I was not holding a pair of pliers and a screwdriver when I was born. Come on!!! I don’t even think it is possible, is it? But from when I can remember, I can’t think of any instance when a nearby broken gadget has not found a way to my pair of probing hands.

I have fixed my first ever broken transistor radio when I was eight years old. I am no genius so don’t ask about capacitors, resistors and IC boards. I don’t even fully understand until now how those things work together to make up an electronic gadget. All I know is, that broken transistor radio was fixed by yours truly using only a dilapidated screwdriver and a hammer. Now go figure!

My inclination to fixing broken gadgets started when I first got my wireless remote-controlled toy car, a luxury of a toy that was not as accessible to young kids as they are now. It was a silver die-cast metal Porsche car with a fancy flexible antenna and a black remote-control that my dad bought from overseas. Of course it was not broken when he gave it to me. But given my affinity to broken gadgets and fixing them, it was only a matter of time before my parents saw the car in pieces, on top of my operating table. You know how the elders would say, “If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it”? I did just that, I broke it, so I can fix it. Smart, eh?

I learned three valuable things that day: (1) I learned that if you break something, you fix it and you learn from it; (2) I learned that you need a lot of patience and a truckload of determination to fix anything that is broken – giving up is just never an option; and (3) I have learned that after fixing something, no matter how hard you try, you always end up with an extra screw. Little did I know that these three things were my first three lessons in life. Allow me to expound…

Life is made up of people and relationships, and sadly, at one point or another, we will break people. When we do, just like when we break things, we have to fix it. Fixing people is just like fixing things, you need a lot of patience and a truckload of determination to pull it through - giving up is just not an option. And in the end, when you end up fixing people, no matter how hard you try, you will most likely end up with an extra screw, i.e. chances are, the person you fixed will be missing a screw or two. Ever wondered why your friends end up being crazy after being friends with you for years? There is your answer.

Going back to gadgets, my childhood was centered on finding broken things to be fixed, and occasionally breaking things so they can be fixed. There is just no rush compared to seeing something you fixed put back in commission. It is just got so addictive for me that at one point I saw my dad’s temper gauge go from 0 – 100 in 2 seconds at the mere sight of my bedroom being turned into a workshop -- pliers and screwdrivers and practically any tool you would see in a workshop lying in my clothes drawer, right beside my clothes.

My dad saw my inclination, and he began guiding me into becoming the DIY man that he is. He taught me many valuable things that I never would have learned on my own, without hurting myself. The very first thing he taught me was, “Safety First”. It was a priceless knowledge applicable both to the hobby and in life. After all, how can you enjoy your hobby and your life, if your life-form has left you because you did not pay attention to safety? He also taught me that “when you decide to do something, do it right and do it well, or just don’t do it at all”. A man’s character is measured by the quality of the finished product that he fashioned from his intent or vision - another valuable lesson in life. And although he agreed that me, using a bubble gum to hold a piece of wire in place is ingenious, it also tells him that I did not bother doing it properly. Which brings me to the next lesson from him: in order to do the job right, “You have to use the right tools for the job”. That bit is self-explanatory and very practical. It will not only save you time but also save you money by not buying replacement tools for those you broke through inappropriate use. It would also make your end product look good and professionally done. And just to demonstrate how important this particular bit is, let me ask you this question, “If you have a broken TV and you brought it to a repair man, would you pay for it if it works fine but you see a hardened bubble gum holding one of the AV ports at the back?” Enough said.

Equipped with my new found knowledge, I went on a fixing spree that I am still on to this day. I still do mostly gadgets (phones, PCs, Laptops, etc.), but I also do mechanical, electrical and plumbing every now and then. I am no repair man by trade. I do it more as a hobby. In fact, it is what I do when I need peace and calm. For some reason, fixing broken things is one of the very few things that have this “calming effect” on me. I do not really understand what it is in this hobby that soothes me. Perhaps it is the feeling of power and control, where you have the fate of something in your hands and you sort of have the power to “bring it back to life”, in human terms. It could also be just the sheer pleasure of the “little wins” – your daily source of success in a world usually filled with failures and frustrations. It could also possibly be the new knowledge or skill that comes with every successful, or even unsuccessful, repair attempt.

Finding your real purpose in this world can sometimes take a lifetime. Now here is the irony that life is; the feeling of meaninglessness and emptiness predictably comes before your purpose is revealed. It is in this “trying” times where you need to have a solid anchor and an infinite source of strength that would fuel you to keep on going. Something that you are good at, either acquired or by accident (which is my case), that would give you your daily dose of feelings of accomplishment and purpose – your little pockets of happiness. If you have not found yours yet, maybe you are looking for something big. They don’t need to be something grand or legendary. I found mine in broken gadgets.

Sometimes I even wonder if it is me who fixes broken gadgets, or if it is the broken gadgets that fix me? Weird, I know. But sometimes it feels as if the latter is the case... Or maybe I am just missing screw?

Comments

What people are reading...

Welcome to My Standpoint...

I am a Civil/Structural Engineer by education, a Quality Professional by profession, a wannabe-but-chose-not-to-be doctor, a frustrated programmer, a tech enthusiast, an avid sportsman, a hater, a lover, a friend, a son, a brother, a husband and a father. I love music, but music never really liked me -- and so does dancing. I love to write (at least I'd like to think so) but never found the time. I love to draw/paint, but again the busy everyday life took that away from me. The only things that stuck with me throughout the busy-ness of life would be my passion for Tennis, Judo, computers and just about anything that gets plugged in to an electric socket or gets powered by batteries (conventional or solar) -- children's toys included. :) Having said that, I guess I can summarily describe myself as a "Jack of trades, (and hopefully) master of some". I have always believed that knowing a little bit of everything is better than knowing everything about just one thi...

Acts of Kindness

He was driving home one evening, on a two-lane country road. Work, in this small mid-western community, was almost as slow as his beat-up Pontiac. But he never quit looking. Ever since the Levis factory closed, he'd been unemployed, and with winter raging on, the chill had finally hit home. It was a lonely road. Not very many people had a reason to be on it, unless they were leaving. Most of his friends had already left. They had families to feed and dreams to fulfill. But he stayed on. After all, this was where he buried his mother and father. He was born here and knew the country. He could go down this road blind, and tell you what was on either side, and with his headlights not working, that came in handy. It was starting to get dark and light snow flurries were coming down. He'd better get a move on. You know, he almost didn't see the old lady, stranded on the side of the road. But even in the dim light of day, he could see she needed help. So he pulled up in front...

How the Poor Live

One day, a father of a very wealthy family took his son on a trip to the country with the firm purpose of showing his son how poor people live. They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family. On their return from their trip, the father asked his son, “How was the trip?” “It was great, Dad.” “Did you see how poor people live?” the father asked. “Oh yeah,” said the son. “So, tell me, what did you learn from the trip?” asked the father. The son answered, “I saw that we have one dog and they had four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden, and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden, and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard, and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on, and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We have servants who serve us, but they serve others. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have wall...

The World is a Wonderful Place

A true story, happened in 1892 at Stanford University: An 18-year-old student was struggling to pay his fees. He was an orphan, and not knowing where to turn for money, he came up with a bright idea. He and a friend decided to host a musical concert on campus to raise money for their education. They reached out to the great pianist Ignacy J. Paderewski. His manager demanded a guaranteed fee of $2000 for the piano recital. A deal was struck and the boys began to work to make the concert a success. The big day arrived. But unfortunately, they had not managed to sell enough tickets. The total collection was only $1600. Disappointed, they went to Paderewski and explained their plight. They gave him the entire $1600, plus a cheque for the balance $400. They promised to honour the cheque at the soonest possible. “No,” said Paderewski. “This is not acceptable.” He tore up the cheque, returned the $1600 and told the two boys: “Here’s the $1600. Please deduct whatever expenses you have...

What Really Matters in Life?

Mexican Fisherman Meets Harvard MBA  A vacationing American businessman standing on the pier of a quaint coastal fishing village in southern Mexico watched as a small boat with just one young Mexican fisherman pulled into the dock. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. Enjoying the warmth of the early afternoon sun, the American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish. "How long did it take you to catch them?" the American casually asked. "Oh, a few hours," the Mexican fisherman replied. "Why don't you stay out longer and catch more fish?" the American businessman then asked. The Mexican warmly replied, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs." The businessman then became serious, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?" Responding with a smile, the Mexican fisherman answered, "I sleep late, play with my children, watch ballgames, and take sies...

Never Judge

This is an old but very touching story that has been on the internet and chain e-mails for a while.  I am not sure how many of you have read the story, but here it goes: A doctor entered the hospital in hurry after being called in for an urgent surgery. He answered the call ASAP, changed his clothes & went directly to the surgery block. He found the boy's father pacing in the hall waiting for the doctor. On seeing him, the dad yelled: "Why did you take all this time to come? Don't you know that my son's life is in danger? Don't you have any sense of responsibility?" The doctor smiled & said: "I am sorry, I wasn't in the hospital & I came as fast as I could after receiving the call...... And now, I wish you'd calm down so that I can do my work" "Calm down?! What if your son was in this room right now, would you calm down? If your own son dies now what will you do??" said the father angrily The doctor smiled ...

Quote of the Day

"Never ask for what you cannot give" This is my very own version of the golden rule.  In this time and age where material possesions have become the measure of a man's success, greed, selfishness and envy have become the main driver of every human dealings and decisions.  "Never ask for what you cannot give" does not focus on material things.  I will not ask for money if I have money to give in the first place.  Look beyond the material world and focus into what matters most -- the abstract, intangible things that make us human.  I am talking about respect, love, faith, kindness, passion, dedication, tolerance, and the list goes on. So the next time you ask a friend for kindness, or an enemy for forgiveness,  pause and ask yourself first before letting those words out... "Have I given enough of what I am about to ask for?" Never ask for what you cannot give and you will never go wrong.

Halloween Laugh Trip

A bald man with a wooden leg gets invited to a Halloween Party. He doesn't know what costume to wear to hide his head and his leg, So he writes to a costume company to explain his problem. A few days later he received a parcel with the following note: Dear Sir, Please find enclosed a pirate's outfit. The spotted handkerchief will cover your bald head and, with your wooden leg, you will be just right as a pirate. Very truly yours, Acme Costume Co. The man thinks this is terrible because they have emphasized his wooden leg and so he writes a letter of complaint. A week goes by and he receives another parcel and a note, which says: Dear Sir, Please find enclosed a monk's costume. The long robe will cover your wooden leg and, with your bald head, you should really look the part. Very truly yours, Acme Costume Co. Now the man is really upset since they have gone from emphasizing his wooden leg to emphasizing his bald head, so again he writes the Company anoth...

Quote of the Day

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life" - Muhammad Ali A very inspiring thought from a man who rolled with the punches for a living, how you view life after years of taking blows and celebrating victories do change with time. It is the difference between your present and previous views of the world that defines you. Our perception of the world when we are young comes from the programming that we get from home. This programming protects us until we are prepared to face the world and experience it first-hand, with our very own sets of biological sensory gizmos. Every experience, good or bad, alters our acquired programming and transforms us into the person we are “meant to be” – our own unique self. Without disrespect to our parents who so lovingly and patiently ushered us to adulthood, if we are still stuck to the perception that they have programmed us as a child, I believe we have just wasted our years. T...

#WeArePhilippines

Recently, we have seen a lot of political disorder in the Philippines that has literally divided, and continue to divide, our nation.  Majority of the government officials, who the Filipino people have chosen to represent their best interests, have misused the trust and the authority that the people have given them to further their individual (and that of their party’s) political interest.  This observation is not only directed at one person or one political party.  Parties and individuals have been hell-bent on criticizing anyone who sits on the other side of the fence.  Privilege speeches and press conferences, under the guise of “at the interest of the Filipino people” have been used to either discredit another official or to defend a “personal attack” directed at them by a member of the opposition.  This has fueled the nation’s divide and has distracted the Filipino people’s sight away from the positive things that currently unfolds right in front of us. O...